TRAINING and professional development
Foothill-De Anza Community College District maintains a Police Department staffed with highly trained officers to help protect the safety and ensure security of students, staff, their property, and the property of the District. FHDA Police Officers are committed to standards of professional excellence and are required to meet the selection and training requirements of the California Peace Officer Standards and Training Commission.
Foothill-De Anza Community College Police Officers have full peace officer powers anywhere in the State of California, receive the same training and carry the same authority in or near the college campuses as city police officers and county deputy sheriffs. Our Officers have completed a series of tests and education mandated by the California Commission on Peace Officers Standards and Training and must maintain annual training to remain certified.
Foothill-De Anza Community College Police Officers offer a wide range of services to the campus community. Services include providing and presenting current crime prevention information, patrolling the college campus and parking lots, proactive crime suppression, investigating all offenses that occur on the campuses, and informing campus users of the occurrence of crimes specified by federal statute.
From time to time, FHDA Police Officers provide mutual aid to other agencies such as the Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office, Los Altos Police Department, California Highway Patrol, and other agencies.
Our Officers have the responsibility of investigating felony and misdemeanor crimes occurring on both the Foothill and De Anza campuses. They work closely with allied agencies to identify suspects and crime trends. They also concentrate on violence against women and sexual assaults that occur on both the campuses as well as being responsible for the Sex Offender Registrant Program and work closely with the Department of Justice and the local District Attorney. Additionally, our officers receive various types of in-service and continuing professional training related to the specific needs of the campus on an ongoing basis.
Ongoing Continuing Professional Training and Perishable Skills Training examples:
- De-escalation training;
- Basic first aid and CPR skills;
- Cultural diversity skills;
- Defensive driving tactics;
- DUI, fraud, and crime scene investigations;
- Interviewing, fingerprinting, and photography skills;
- Narcotics and narcotics user identification;
- Safe firearm handling techniques;
- Responding to emotionally-disturbed persons, civil disturbances, and domestic violence situations;
List of Recent Training Courses:
- POST Required training list
- Learning Portal Assignments
- Reading assignment, book review and discussion Blindspot
- Lexipol - New Police Policy and Procedures
- Principled Policing
- AB392 / DV
- Report Writing - CSOs
- RADAR/LIDAR Operator
- FTO Update
- Suicide by Cop - Assessment & De-escalation
- Firearms Instructor
- Patrol Rifle Class
- Range Tactical Firearms
- Mass Casualty Virtual Summit
- Defensive Tactics
- Training Managers' Symposium
- Pursuit Driving
- Use of Force